Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Easy, Healthy, Fit

Holy hell. You know when you get so overwhelmed that your mind just turns off? That is me sitting in class right now. I’m in my Oriental Medicine, Internal Medicine class and it’s great as it’s a review over EVERYTHING! we’ve studied the last two years. It’s just slightly overwhelming, and I feel like I’ve been bitch-slapped upside the head with the textbook.

I know I have to go home, pull out my Point Indication notes and Herbal Medicine notes (5 classes worth!) and lay it all out so I can reference everything.

Although, this is a better representation of what my study session will look like ...

Worst part, we are sitting in class, reading straight from the book, and no new information given. It’s mind numbing.



… So I decided to blog.

Since joining my new training team, and the now three hours I put in at the gym daily, people have been asking me fitness questions. While I do have my personal trainers license, and I one day hope to use it, I have not trained anyone, nor do I consider myself an “expert.”

However, maybe that makes me more credible in giving these SUPER EASY stay-fit tips (Who would you listen to more: someone that struggles with a yearn for peppermint ice cream with chocolate sauce and sprinkles or someone that is completely happy eating asparagus everyday?! Skinny, lying betch!)

Be Prepare

I’ll talk about food prep in a minute. For now it’s prepping for the gym.

If you are working out the first thing in the morning, either wear your clothes to sleep or set them right by your bed. You have no excuse when you can literally pull your foot from under the covers and into your gym shoe. I also make sure my water bottle is full and in the fridge waiting for the morning.

They're waiting ...

If you are planning on working out later in the day, pack your bag the night before and set it by the front door. As I would leave work, I use to make a pit stop in the bathroom to change into my gymmies. This was really helpful on days I really didn’t want workout. You don’t want to feel the guilt of skipping the gym when you are already all dressed (trust me!). Or, when I use to workout at home, my gym clothes greeted me on my bed. I had no excuse for not working out; it was staring me in the face

Laying out clothes or packing a bag also mentally prepares you.

Speaking of bags ...

Brown Bag It

Your budget and waistine will thank you. Even before my crazy competition diets, I ALWAYS packed a lunch. I am a bit OCD and a vegetarian, so I really like to have control over what goes into my food.

Find healthy recipes, with lots a protein, a little bit of carbs and a little bit of fat, and lots of veggies!

(Try Clean Eating Magazine or Cooking Light for great recipes).

If you eat healthy, you can have brownies, right?
Especially if they made from Sweet Potatoes ... sweet potatoes are healthy, right?

I have a couple go-to recipes, I make a whole batch, divided them into Tupperware and have at least half-a-week worth of healthy meals ready to be chomped.

Now that I’m on a meal plan, I always prep my meals up until dinner for the next day.

(Some of my Bombshell sisters prefer taking a few hours on Sunday to prep for the entire week, but it's easier for me to diet with fresh food. I do shop for the week and cut up the food on Sunday, so everything is ready & waiting to be cooked. Plus less trips to the store means less opportunity to buy crap food.)

Prepping ensures that I have food waiting for me, and leaves little thinking about what to eat (thinking = craving = bad for you foods). This also means that as I’m rushing around in the morning, all I have to do is grab a couple Tupperware dishes and throw them in a cooler without any thought.

Prepped for the day

Also pay attention to serving sizes, and measure! You can ruin all your hard work by overeating.

Set small goals, take one day at a time.

If you want to lose weight, set smaller goals (Also, while the scale is important, take photos every week or every other weeks. Trust me! You'll see how far you've come when that number stops budging, and it's better motivation to continue.)

If you want to get to the gym more, set the goal for two or three days a week rather than five (you can always go more if your schedule allows).

If you want to eat better, try to bring your lunch or have a home cooked clean meal two or three times a week (not too hard if you follow #2).

Don’t set yourself up to fail. If you aren’t a runner, don’t make running three times a week a goal (unless you want to overcome your aversion). Find a class, a boot camp or make a lifting plan that includes some cardio. You’ll be more likely to accomplish your goals if you start with things you like to do.

Treat Yo’self

(Parks and Rec reference … anyone? Anyone?)

Once you set your small goals and hit them, give yourself a reward. While us crazy competitors are allowed cheat meals, try to not to go overboard (especially if your goal is to eat healthy!) Try for something else, mani/pedi, massage, new clothes, a trip, a cheat meal, new shoes or athletic gear, a book or movie … you get the idea. You deserve it.

Maybe a whole day of pampering?

No comments:

Post a Comment