Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Loving Me Some ...

Oh! It’s What I’m Loving Wednesday.

1. God (duh!)

I’ve been wrestling with whether I should get a job. I’m in school, getting my Master's in Oriental Medicine (basically, to become an acupuncturist) and it’s an intense, accelerated program. But, as the half of the marriage that put us in debt (a little debt, but debt nonetheless), I feel like I should pull my weight. My sweet husband continuously tells me, at this point in time, I do not need to work. Instead, he says, I need to focus on school and take care of the pup-pups.

As a good Christian wife, I will listen to my hubs wishes … however, since “the perfect job” seemed to pop up the other day I decided to petition the even Bigger Man before bedtime.

I woke up the yesterday morning and checked my email. Every weekday I get a devotional email from my church in Ohio. And guess what this one said, “The problem with desires - even ones that improve our health or financial standing - is that they can distract us from God's ultimate purpose in our lives. ... It's hard to let go of our passions, but without balance in our lives, it can be difficult to follow the paths God has planned for us.”

Ah, yes. I desire for a job. But I don’t need a job. I need to finish school, and do well. In fact, I might have the opportunity to take my boards as early as the end of this year (God planned?). I also need to take care of the pups and be there for the hubs when he does make it home. Our time together is few and very precious.

Oh, and just to be clear: I love God everyday.

2. Miss K Lo.

Miss Kelly is this lovely lady:

And last week I received two unexpected packages in the mail. A signed copy of a book with 100 devotionals in it, along with this lovely card:

And a few days later, this card:

It’s an anniversary, and yes, it’s about three months early, so that means, believe it or not, Kels is actually EARLY! And it's a perfect card.

Realizing how much I LOVED getting mail, I’ve decided to start sending mail to my gfs. I like the idea of sending a handwritten note. So I am placing all the ladies names in a bowl and weekly or bi-weekly, I will be selecting a name and sending a note. Ladies, if you read this check your mailboxes.

3. Vegetable Quinoa

I’ve been trying to eat clean, meaning cutting the amount of processed food I consume. I have been doing pretty well. Eating non-processed foods, means I have to cook. This little gem of a recipe is from June’s Oxygen Magazine.

Vegetable Quinoa, makes 1 serving

3 tbsp. quinoa

¼ yellow onion, chopped

1 carrot, diced

1 stalk celery, finely chopped including leaves

1 clove of garlic, finely diced

½ red bell pepper, finely diced

t sp. Tamari or low-sodium soy sauce

2 egg whites, beaten

1 whole egg, beaten

1 cup broccoli, chopped

½ cup water

1. Cook quinoa according to package

2. Heat 2 tbsp. of water in a skillet. Steam-saute onions and carrots about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except broccoli. Cover and heat for about 3 minutes.

3. Add cooked quinoa and broccoli to skillet; add more water to steam. Cover for about 3 minutes until the broccoli is bright green.

It’s a lot of food and super good. AND! Egg is a natural mood-booster. The added broccoli also enhances the dopamine production (the chemical that is thought to be linked to the brain’s pleasure center). Eggs and broccoli also have omega 3s, which is helpful for a brain boost. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment