Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I ditched classes on Monday and hit the road to Ohio.

I’ve driven the Florida-to-Ohio route a few times: a couple trips in college, when moving to Florida, when going back to Ohio to get married, going back to Florida as a married lady, and then to and fro last Christmas. ... But I never did it ALONE!

(The hubs is somewhere between the Bahamas and the Dominican Republic right now).

Okay, so I was not completely alone.

I had my navigator:

who promptly fell asleep about 30 minutes out of Fort Lauderdale.

Luckily Morgan stepped in, back seating driving a majority of the way.

About two hours into the road trip, it started to get not fun anymore. As much as I love my dogs, they offer sparse conversation.

A few hours later, as darkness fell and I entered Georgia I found the all Christmas music, all the time radio station. Thankfully singing Christmas carols kept me alert and awake enough to make it to Macon for my overnight. (I apologize to Martini-dog and Morgan as my singing ability is on par with their conversation skills).

For all of you road tripping/vacationing with dogs, there is a must-use Web site: Bringfido.com. It lists pet-friendly hotels, restaurants and attraction across the country.

After a night in Georgia and breakfast stop at Chick-fil-a, I was on the road again. An unfortunate one-lane traffic pattern (for 6 miles) and then a tropical storm-like rains in the mountains slowed me down, but when I got closer to Ohio, I saw this:

A blurry rainbow ... A welcome sign?

I crossed over Ohio into rush-hour traffic, but after hours of driving by myself, I was super excited and thankful to be home safe! (Oh, and people in Ohio actually let you over when you have your turn signal on ... eat that Miami!)

Oh, and something exciting happened on my drive north. Remember the baby shower for Christie?

Well, she was induced on Tuesday afternoon, and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on Tuesday night.

Baby Charlotte. Totally gorgeous.
Stolen from the hospital site, but I had to include a headband photo!

On Wednesdays, my bestie Kelly came over with her new baby … fur-baby that is. Carly, her Boston Terrier pup, and Morgan got along really well. I’m just sad we don’t live closer. It would be awesome to have regular puppy play-dates.

How cute is that coat?

Kelly and I stop in to see baby Charlotte. It was my first post-partum hospital visit ever. It was also my first time holding a newborn ... ever (While I have younger brothers I was too young to have any memories of hospital views or holding them).

Let’s just say I don’t think I’m ready for a baby anytime soon, since I froze when they put Charlotte in my arms. I was too afraid to do anything in fear I might hurt her or place her in the wrong position.

Plus, on the way to the hospital, Kelly told me babies sense fear, which made me even more nervous. Luckily, Baby Charlotte is polite and such a sweetheart that she barely stirred as I held her (I think she even gave me a smile).

My brother came in from Chicago last night and we drove to our lake house. We have five dogs and five people in a little cabin (my other brother is working/studying abroad in London). But it’s been great sitting around all day, watching the parade, and the dog show (nerd, I know) and then football all afternoon.

Once I checked my email this afternoon I had even more exciting news. My friend Michelle and her man are engaged!!!!

Stolen from FB, but Michelle looked so pretty I couldn't not post it.

So, as I am getting ready to celebrate with my family, I just want to say how grateful I am for everyone in my life. Despite not being completely in love with my living situation, this time apart from friends and family has made me become even more appreciative of them.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment