Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hair-story

I have attempted three other posts, but I haven't been able to complete them. Perhaps it's my multitude of finals and quizzes plaguing me, or maybe it's the fact that the hubs is about to leave for the season (I get to see him at Christmas, which a only a crazy few weeks away, but I sort of liked having him around all the time :) ...)

But as any writer knows as they are facing writer's block, write what you know. And all I know is this home-girl needs a haircut! Well, a bang cut. What are these?

Every time I mention my bangs the hubs says, (middle column, 8th quote down).

Not helpful.

This will be my first professional haircut since oh, um, February 2010 when I did this:

Yes, that is my real hair

Unfortunately for you, photos from my high school days are under lock-and-key. Those of us in high school in the late 90s, probably remember the Sun-In obsession.

I had always wanted to be of lighter hair color, so I followed the trend. But what happens to dark brown hair with a cheap spray-in hair lightener? It turns orange.

So years later, when I had the opportunity I decided to go lighter, professionally.

I only lasted two months, and once I went back to black, I wanted to make an attempt to grow it out for my wedding. I EPICALLY failed and wore faux-hair.


Before I met my husband, I always had long hair. But a year out of college, I started working a corporate job, and I felt like I was conforming too much, too soon. So I did what any rebel-Yuppie would do: I chopped my hair.

In the middle with Mecs and Shan.

It was modeled after Mrs. VB herself.

My then-boyfriend (now the hubs) mentioned the ‘do reminded him of fellow South African Charlize Theron’s hair from Aeon Flux.

So what does any all-American girl who is trying to impress a handsome foreigner with an cute accent? I went even shorter:

And when Mark and I began dating, we would fly every weekend to see each other. My flights usually had super-short layovers. During one trip, foot traffic in the airport was re-routed and everyone had to re-enter through security to get to another terminal. I was late for my connecting flight, so I stood in line, cursing under my breath, throwing items into a bin, and quickly walked through security (you can’t run, as I learned at a later date and during a different story). As I picked up my items, a woman behind me told me, “Cute haircut.”

I thanked her curtly, barely glancing at her. I didn’t even bother with my shoes as I sprinted through the airport. My flight was delayed, but finally when we finally boarded I saw the pilot: the woman who liked my hair … and I had been a bit rude too. I was so embarrassed. After I sat down a flight attendant came over to me.

“The pilot has something to ask you,” she said.

I thought she was going to say something about relaxing and being kind to people. Instead she asked, “Where did you get your hair cut?”

Whew! (By the way, it was Greg at Mitchell’s Salon and Day Spa in Kenwood, Ohio, but I don’t know if he even works there anymore).

After the wedding I was about to cut it again, I realized the hubs has never seen me with my long locks.

When longer, my hair is naturally wavy. Actually I should clarify, it waves ... just one. And itholds nothing, as my curling efforts are often in vain. So when a friend in college had a short bob with really slight perm in it (think beachy-waves that are popular now) and it looked super cute, I went to the hair salon and asked for a perm with the loosest waves possible.

Unfortunately the style didn't transfer well to longer hair, and I ended up looking like Ashley Simpson, pre-nose job:

Rememba when ...

Sick of being compared to her, I decided to start-over. I stripped my hair and cut it short. The next day, I opened People, only to open it up and see this photo:

My hair was dead-on this 'do

A week later I was back to black.

Okay, so that about all to my hair-story. The long and the short of it, I need a cut. I would like to do something fun for the holidays, but one of my besties is getting married in June, and I haven’t figured out a hairstyle to wear yet, so I’m keeping it longer in the meanwhile. Though I guess I can always sport one of my faux-dos.

1 comment:

  1. My hair grows at a snails pace and I desperately want it to get long! Yours looks really cute short too!

    ReplyDelete