Monday, February 14, 2011

Everyday is Valentine's Day


Today is Valentine’s Day! And it’s a big one, not only because it’s our first as a married couple, but in the three years Mark and I have been together, it’s our first Valentine’s Day actually together in, not only the same country, but ever!

Due to Mark’s job, he’s usually is in the Caribbean during the winter months, so we just forego the holiday all together. Instead, I usually make plans with my single gals and we nosh on bottomless-baskets of tortilla chips, sip margaritas and entertain ourselves with the Spanish-only speaking servers.

So here it is. The very first Valentine’s Day I get to celebrate with a significant other … and we have no plans.

As a little girl, I LOVED LOVED LOVED Valentine’s Day (probably an early sign of my sugar addiction). I loved the red and pink (obviously). I loved the candy and cookies. I loved searching for the perfect Valentines to give to classmates. I loved the class projects leading up to the big day. I LOVED Valentine’s Day!

As time past, and with no boyfriends, I became a bit jaded. Although at my root, I am not a flashy person, and most likely would be a majorly embarrassed, I secretly wished I had someone who would send flowers to my high school on that special day.

In college and the years following, I started to enjoy Valentine’s Day again. Rather than focusing on the fact there was a lack of quality men in my life, I was grateful I had amazing girlfriends to spend it with. And it’s a save bet we had WAY more fun than we would have had with boyfriends.

And now, I have an amazing man who gives me anything I could want or imagine just because. But more important than any gift, is that we actually, truly enjoy each other.

When Mark and I first started dating, we were apart more often than together. We never fought or got upset with each other because we didn't want to ruin our real-time together. Later in our relationship, we had to learn how to fight appropriately. But we took something very important from those first months … we still believe our time together is precious.

It’s corny, but Mark and I really get to celebrate Valentine’s Day all year long. Some days are a little less pink and rosy than others, and flowers and dinners out are always a nice, butI believe our time together is more appreciated than most. And I believe that’s what Valentine’s Day is really about – slowing down from our busy lives and appreciate those in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment